To Join or Renew
The membership year is from March 1 through the end of February.
Membership can now be paid using the PayPal option. Once you submit your payment the MCGS Treasurer will contact you through email address you have provided for the mailing address to send your membership card.
|$20 Annual Individual|
|$25 Annual Family (two voting family members)|
Note: Renewal dues are due by March 30th
If you prefer to pay by check please print and complete the Membership Form and mail to the address indicated on the form.
MCGS Membership Benefits
One educational meeting per month (evening).
Several member events each year (potluck picnic, holiday potluck, etc).
Numerous volunteer opportunities on a variety of committees.
Opportunities in society administration.
Use of MCGS Zoom account.
Items listed in the article below.
Access to the Members Only section of the website. This includes most recent issues of our newsletter Roots Pursuit, Presentation videos, handouts and educational links, and the Members Connect database.
Why Join Your Local Genealogical Society?
Kathleen W. Hinckley, Certified Genealogical Records Specialist, author, lecturer, owner/operator of Family Detective, the executive director of the Association of Professional Genealogists, and a trustee for the Board of Certification of Genealogists wrote a very good article about the reasons to join a local genealogy society.
The article can be found in its entirety here
Her reasons for joining the local society:
- Discovered a network of local genealogists
- Learned new research skills
- Learned how to evaluate genealogical software
- Improved skills in reading old handwriting
- Learned from other members
- Realized that society volunteers in other localities were indexing records that were pertinent to her own research
- Gained experience in using different record types
- Developed leadership skills
- Found other members researching in the same areas
- Developed friendships